
Okay... so this is just about how I feel the direction of life has been going lately. I think bad shit tends to come down the line all at once and these past few weeks have been no exception.
First we start off with the last week of January ... Major contractions in the 6 to 7 range of pain all day on Tuesday. Followed by more contractions and bleeding on Wednesday. This of course warranted a call to the doctor which was quickly followed by a trip to the hospital.
Says the liar face nurse.
Let's just say they couldn't get me admitted fast enough. And 3 days in the hospital was just about enough to do me in. I got loaded up with my dose of corticosteriods - which helps to speed up your baby's lung development - just in case they couldn't get my contractions and bleeding to stop. Talk about an eye opener... Wow. I really had no idea about the seriousness of Placenta Previa - a condition I've had during this pregnancy where the placenta implants over the cervical opening (birth canal) of the uterus.
I started out with Complete Previa, a condition that can correct itself as the uterus grows and pulls the placenta further up the wall and away from the cervix. By December my Complete condition had become a Marginal /Partial Previa. Better... but not good enough. January marked that no further change had occurred. Bummer. The Doctor tells me that the chances of it correcting itself go down considerably now that I'm into my 3rd trimester (8th month now guys!). Granted it's not completely unheard of - but it's unlikely. What that means?? That I'll have to have a C-section around the 36/37th week. So until then I'm on bed rest - which no doubt sucks - but I'll take it over the alternative... more time in the hospital. Auy-yep... Thanks, but Seriously No Thanks.
So all of that leads us to today... I had yet another ultra sound this week which unfortunately confirmed our fear -- that my Previa condition had still not changed. We understood it was a long shot but we had Hoped. I've been on bed rest for 3 weeks now and getting ready to start week FOUR. A tough undertaking with Lil' H running about - but we've been managing pretty darn well. He does get a little stir crazy, but he's a trooper and The P helps to work out a lot of excess energy when he gets home at night. I sure do Love my Boys! However, even with all our precautions and care I started to have contractions again this past Tuesday. Nothing consistent or timeable and NO bleeding... but still, none the less, not good. They quieted down and had virtually stopped by Wednesday afternoon... but the Doctor wasn't pleased. My Doctor's appointment on Thursday proved to be pretty horrifying for me. First they're moving up my appointments AHGain... after my hospital stay I went from every 4 weeks to every 2 and now I'll have to be seen once a week. Probably not such a big deal to most - but it seems so extreme to me and doesn't help with my already anxious state. The Doctor also emphasized that a C-section was probably inevitable at this stage and said "I hope you've resigned yourself to the idea." Ugh. I know millions of women have them... but the idea of surgery is a scary one for me. But in all honesty, the surgery isn't the most frightening part - it's the idea of our baby being born so early. At my last Drs appointment - 2 weeks ago - they had reiterated the 36/37th week as the time frame for delivery. At this appointment they suddenly started talking about the 34th week. I know babies are born earlier than that and do just fine... but that fact really does very little to ease my mind or the ache within my heart. One can only hope that next week's appointment might bring better news. 
One bit of good news was that our sweet baby boy gained an entire pound during the past 3 weeks. Bringing him up from 3 to 4 lbs. Very good news. On the flip side of that: I've gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks... which should be a physically impossible feat. But don't worry - I've got the all the necessary forms filled out and ready to process for my "WIDE LOAD" permit... I just haven't had the courage to mail them in yet ;) Anyone getting a view of my Ass out on the roadways right about now is just another horrifying thought at this point!
So all of that leads us to today... I had yet another ultra sound this week which unfortunately confirmed our fear -- that my Previa condition had still not changed. We understood it was a long shot but we had Hoped. I've been on bed rest for 3 weeks now and getting ready to start week FOUR. A tough undertaking with Lil' H running about - but we've been managing pretty darn well. He does get a little stir crazy, but he's a trooper and The P helps to work out a lot of excess energy when he gets home at night. I sure do Love my Boys! However, even with all our precautions and care I started to have contractions again this past Tuesday. Nothing consistent or timeable and NO bleeding... but still, none the less, not good. They quieted down and had virtually stopped by Wednesday afternoon... but the Doctor wasn't pleased. My Doctor's appointment on Thursday proved to be pretty horrifying for me. First they're moving up my appointments AHGain... after my hospital stay I went from every 4 weeks to every 2 and now I'll have to be seen once a week. Probably not such a big deal to most - but it seems so extreme to me and doesn't help with my already anxious state. The Doctor also emphasized that a C-section was probably inevitable at this stage and said "I hope you've resigned yourself to the idea." Ugh. I know millions of women have them... but the idea of surgery is a scary one for me. But in all honesty, the surgery isn't the most frightening part - it's the idea of our baby being born so early. At my last Drs appointment - 2 weeks ago - they had reiterated the 36/37th week as the time frame for delivery. At this appointment they suddenly started talking about the 34th week. I know babies are born earlier than that and do just fine... but that fact really does very little to ease my mind or the ache within my heart. One can only hope that next week's appointment might bring better news. 
One bit of good news was that our sweet baby boy gained an entire pound during the past 3 weeks. Bringing him up from 3 to 4 lbs. Very good news. On the flip side of that: I've gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks... which should be a physically impossible feat. But don't worry - I've got the all the necessary forms filled out and ready to process for my "WIDE LOAD" permit... I just haven't had the courage to mail them in yet ;) Anyone getting a view of my Ass out on the roadways right about now is just another horrifying thought at this point!




5 comments:
Just remember, WE LOVE YOU!! And try to lift that chin up just a bit for us, okay? Kisses and hugs Sweetheart....
Sorry for the additional bad news at your doctors appointment. Even though you might not be hoping for an early delivery, just think you might get to see your little guy just a few weeks earlier than expected. I know you don't want to have a little baby, but sometimes it's for the best. Luckily we have such great doctors to take care of us in our pregnancies... Please let me know if you need anything. I've certainly been enjoying our little chats lately.
Hang in there guys,
wish we could help with H-man during the day to let you rest. But you guys went and moved thousands of miles away from us. :( Please let us know how things are going (i'll just keep checking the blog)
I am so sorry! I will be praying for you. Lauren was born at 36 weeks and was 5 lbs of perfect delivered by an unwanted C-section. It was only unwanted before I had it - I LOVED IT! The recovery was great and easy, especially after talking with friends who went a more traditional route (I could easily sit wherever I wanted no matter the rigidity of the surface). Hang in there! Love you!
Oh Loni!! I'm so sorry!! I had Placenta Previa when I was pregnant with Alissa.. I was the same way.. I had no idea what it involved.. I was lugging my 3 year old and working 40 hrs. a week then.. Not a good thing..
Take care of yourself and hang on!!! Sending good thoughts, good Kharma and lots of love your way!!
Post a Comment