Wednesday, July 4, 2012

a little slice of heaven!


 
Apple Pancake Rings w/Apple Cider Syrup

  • 1-½ cup Apple Cider
  • 1 Tablespoon Dark Corn Syrup
  • 1 stick Cinnamon
  • 1 cup Bisquick*
  • 1 whole Egg
  • ½ cups Milk*
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • Butter, For Frying
  • 2 whole Apples, Cored, And Sliced Into 1/8" Thin Rings

  • To make the apple syrup, bring the apple cider, corn syrup, and cinnamon stick to a boil in a small saucepan. Simmer until reduced by half, about thirty minutes.
    Make the batter by mixing the Bisquick, egg, milk, and spices. Heat a nonstick griddle to medium heat. Add a pat of butter to the pan.
    Use a skewer to dip an apple ring into the batter and place it in the hot butter. Repeat. Cook as you would a regular pancake, about two minutes per side, until golden brown. Serve with the hot apple syrup.

    * I used Gluten Free Bisquick and am not sure if it was due to that or not - but 1/2 milk left the mix incredibly thick... so I kept adding until I got to a consistancy that looked good... probably closer to 2/3 Cup of milk, in total.

    Seriously... these were so good!!  Like ahhhmazing!  Everyone practically inhaled them so faaaasssssssssssst that I would consider shelling out the cash to buy a mandoline and an apple corer in order to make them on a regular basis.  As it was... slicing the apples so thin by hand was - a challenge, to say the least.  And since I don't own a corer, I just sliced them up and used a bottle cap to cut the core out afterwards.  It worked, but was time consuming.   This recipe was barely enough for all of my hungry boys (Dad included)... so next time around will most likely require a double batch :)


    No comments:

    Related Posts with Thumbnails