Okay... So for starters, I'm not even sure just how many folks even remember that commercial. For me it's a pretty vague memory... but it's there.
But of course I'm totally calling bullshit on it... none of this crap has ever worked for me. I've always sucked at the laundry. I've tried all the detergent boosters, sprays, gels, sticks... Yeah Whatever. In the end, No matter what, my whites still manage to look a bit dingy. And stains? Forgettaboutit. They're NOT coming out. Ever. And no amount of scrubbing, pre-treating or soaking is going to make an ounce of difference. Period. End. Of. Story.
Set in stains, bleach spots and perma-dinge simply seemed to be my lot in life. So be it. And when the clothes start to garner laughs from your local homeless shelter... well, my motto has just been - Buy New. I never really gave it much thought beyond that.
So with all that being said, you can imagine my surprise and dismay when my handy dandy dryer (that has served me well for the past 16 years) seemed to go a little haywire. About 3 months ago I noticed that it was taking like an hour and a half to get shit dry in the dryer. At times the towels were actually souring AS they were drying. Hmmm... who'd have thought that was possible?! There were times I would hear a strange clicking noise coming from the laundry room... click, click, click. Reminding me of a bizarre rendition of "The Raven"... the clicking coupled with the wacky temperature fluctuations began to seriously creep me out. Sometimes I'd open the dryer door after 25 minutes and the clothes would be smokin'... we're talkin' Hot, Hot, HOT - like burn your fingers hot. While the very next load would be cold as ice after 55 minutes - as in no heat at all. So what do you think I did about it??
How about a big Fat Nothing. Oh Surprise, surprise.
Auy-yup... This here would be the part where I totally fess up to being an utter dumb ass traveling down the Denial River without a paddle. It seems that nothing could convince me that something was seriously askew with my beloved dryer... that is until the electricity bill came.
Mutha Fucka.
Yes, dear friends, when your electric bill can rival your house payment - No Shit - one can only hope you finally manage see the light... or that someone you know will be kind enough to kick you in the head.
So shortly after soiling myself I finally managed to pull my head from my ass and snatch me up a pair of these pretties.

And you wanna know something totally crazy. Since these bad boys arrived... My whites have never looked so Goooood. We're talking Brilliantly White... Shockingly White... and with only 2/3 cups of bleach??!! Modern technology... it's an amazing thing.
The Moral of this story... It's all about the tools you have. Tools make all the difference. And when a major appliance starts to produce unknown scary sounds... don't be an idiot. Replace it before the electric company can bend you over the proverbial barrel.
Besides... I Promise you... Doing the laundry has never been so much fun.




3 comments:
You make me laugh, Loni. Just make sure you remember to 'wash' your washer once a month with a cycle of bleach and Whitest Whites setting with no clothes. And, leave the door open otherwise you'll start growing mold in your front loader washer. One of the nice things the sales people never tell you about front loading washers. :)
oh, leave the door open between loads. :)
Ahhh Yes. This is something I discovered while researching front loaders. Always leave the washer door open. In the beginning news of this (mold/mildew growth) really put me off... but in the end - everyone I talked to just wouldn't stop bragging them up and it totally sucked me in.
So my door is always open -- hahaha -- and so far, so good... no mold and no mildew smell. Let's just hope it stays that way.
Post a Comment