Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bodacious Breads

I've been baking bread for ages and am aware that lots of folks either have trouble with yeast doughs or are intimidated by them. Honestly, I'm not sure why. I've never had any difficulties with yeast doughs... but maybe it's due to the fact that I've been baking breads since I was a kid... so thanks Mom!

Over the years I've tried lots of bread cookbooks, bread machines and bread mixes. Most usually turn out fine... or just on this side of okay. However, through all of my bread making adventures, in the end, I always return to my Great Grandmother's yeast bread recipe. It's easily converted from savory to sweet, makes up quickly and is nearly fail safe for me.

Of course with that said, I don't make bread as often as I would like. Because no matter how easy the recipe is, having two little guys running/crawling about underfoot doesn't always allow ample time for kneading and proofing. Enter in these two revolutionary books:



They are truly amazing and absolutely worth their weight in gold. I found their bread baking concept astounding... semi-proof one huge batch of bread, then store it in the fridge and pull a loaf from the bin as desired??? That's crazy talk I assured myself. Certain it was utter nonsense... until I gave it a try.

Current Status: Converted.

Since I've been using this 5 minute method I haven't once reverted back to beloved Gram's recipe. And although I don't feel I've mastered their method... my loaves aren't always very pretty and often look a little wonky... but they always taste amazing! For truly superior results you'll need a baking stone and a broiler pan for the steam bake method - two things that will ensure a bake shop quality crust and texture.

Easy to prepare, time saving with baker's quality results??
Seriously, you had me at easy.

They've also got a terrific blog with fabulous recipes, tips and suggestions... so be sure to check that out as well. There are so many sensational recipes featured in the books, that in an effort to try to get through them all, I've even joined a online baking group... dorky, yes, I know. But it's tastefully cool. So pick up a book and follow along with me. I'd love to share this Bodacious Bread Journey with good friends ;)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails