Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cookie Kafuffle

We enjoyed a lovely morning at the Science Center today. Lots of running and jumping and whining and screaming and moaning and sassing and shouting and crying to be seen and heard all throughout the facility. And those were just the antics of all the Other kids! Yes, it was indeed a wonderful way to spend time as a family. Things were fairly crowded, which usually isn't the case on a Sunday... and there were a lot more older kids in the mix. Translation: It was really Loud and the whole vibe just felt more aggressive than what is typical. I was also less than thrilled with the complete and utter lack of parental supervision I kept witnessing over and over and over again. It's frustrating when adults and children alike monopolize the resources and activities. Especially adults and older children who are SO old enough (ie: 10 - 45) to Know better but are either too ignorant or rude to be mindful and courteous to others. That kind of behavior truly chaps my ass. Poor H-man really struggled with these inconsistencies. He just couldn't understand why the rules he has to follow aren't followed by all. And Frankly, I couldn't understand that either.

H's hands down favorite thing about the Science Center is the Robot exhibit. Robots, Robots, Robots! He loves the the droid that talks and the robotic arm (RA) that shoots hoops. There are dozens of different robots performing various tasks. Usually he just likes to watch, wander and simply take it all in. But today he really took an interest in RA that plays air hockey. He was absolutely enthralled with how it all worked. He watched very closely and for the first time ever he showed great interest in taking a turn. And so, my two sweet boys, P & H, waited patiently, like gentlemen, for more than 15 minutes while others pushed, crowded and cut in ahead of them. We found the whole situation to be so frustrating. Sure, they could have elbowed and shoved their way in and chastised the imbeciles that were surrounding us on all sides. But they didn't. Thankfully, my Boys just aren't wired like that. As a family, we're happy to be kind and civilized. Besides. We're total chickenshits. We could feel the tension in the air and knew that at the slightest sign of civility, the mob would suddenly turn cannibalistic and begin devouring our young. Yep. That's how we roll. We just roll away. Away from the rabid swarms of turn-stealing Neanderthals.

We're lovers, not fighters ;)

Sooo... after spending a very lovely and loooong day at the Science Center I thought cookies were in order. Good idea, right. Wanting to keep it super simple and straying from our cluster of favorite recipes after such grueling events... that's where the plan began to falter. Yipes.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies...
heed this warning...
Don't try these at home.

Seriously... they were a cataclysmic disaster.
Absolutely Awful.

In a word: Gross.

I'm not at all sure what on earth happened. I was pretty sure that I had made these before... and that we had even liked them. I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't have split the sugar: using 1/2 C white and 1/2 C brown... maybe I should have mixed them by hand, instead of with the mixer?? All I do know... is just the very thought of them makes my stomach ache and my bowels quiver.

I'm all set to redeem myself tomorrow with a batch of Snickerdoodles...
or as the H-man lovingly calls them: SickerDudes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a great recipe for flourless pb cookies I make for my sister who has a gluten allergy, I'll pass it onto you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails