
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek
So while in Japan The P reconfirmed a lot of really great eating habits we try to implement here at home. He noted that he didn't love all the food, but he loved how all of it was freshly prepared and made with quality ingredients. That's how we eat around our house too... just not as adventurously.
I'm a very picky eater and a vegetarian. I have a lot of aversions to foods - certain textures and consistencies of food make me gag. To put it nicely. It's something that's been going on since childhood and if I were a kid today would probably be diagnosed as a SID related disorder. Don'tcha just love that? How everything today has to be neatly categorized, easily referenced and able to fit in a standardized box. After all, I have a two year old son and there are people already wanting to slap an easy to read label on him. In large because he's a really wonderful mix of me and his father - two very odd and only somewhat complicated people that are totally Not the norm. All of our stimulating strangities are meshed into this amazing kid, who at the moment isn't following the same map laid out in the "children's path to adulthood" manual. He's already begun the swim upstream and against the current... So since when did being an individual with weird quirks and glorious self expressive oddities become unwanted traits?? But I digress, and this digression is worthy of a whole post on it's own... one of which is probably coming rather soon.
So annnyhow... What is all this leading up to? The P brought home some Uramaki California Rolls as an appetizer this evening for his Delectable Shrimp and Sherry Pasta. [I've mentioned how talented my Mister is in the kitchen haven't I?] I think he was pretty damn sure there wasn't a snowball's chance I'd actually eat any though. And honestly, I would normally totally agree with that sentiment. He offered me a sample and assured me that there was NO raw fish in it and that [to him] it didn't have a slimy texture. I trusted him and thought the fresh smell was wonderful... was it the avocado? The ginger? I'm not sure, and keep in mind that I'm not a brave food taster warrior. Once he assured me he wouldn't be grossed out or sad if I wasted a bite by immediately spitting it out, I [now don't fall off your chair] agreed to try it. Then I actually chewed it. And this is when I thought The P was looking quite faint - I swallowed it.
It was good. Could that be? So I thought just to be safe, I'd have one more... you know - to be sure. Then shockingly another. What was going on? Were the planets mystically aligned??
Hmmm... maybe it was the fact that the rice was on the outside? Maybe it was the fresh avocado and the ginger? Maybe all the pain I've been in has dulled my gag reflex and rearranged my sense of taste? I dunno, but it was fresh and flavorfully crisp and yummy. Who knew!
So here it is: Rice, Nori, Avocado, Crab and Ginger.
With just a dash of Sesame Seeds.
I think we might one day soon venture out and make our own.
Care to join us?
Here's a great video from VideoJug that should come in quite handy. Their version calls for mayonnaise (which might be tasty) and Roe (which will, without a doubt be missing from ours!).
Enjoy :)
How To Make A California Roll Uramaki





16 comments:
I love all sushi (and sashimi) and am very adventurous when it comes to trying new and exotic things. I may not like them all, but I will give them a whirl. My family however is about as unadventurous as you (without the vegetarianism). Shane and Lauren both LOVE cucumber rolls, which are pretty much cucumber pieces rolled in rice and seaweed (BORING!). It is the only way I can get them to take me out for sushi, though! Hang in there, Loni, and keep trying different ones!
Its very yummy and looks nice too!
fresh ingredients and even occasionally vegetarian is good. sushi and sashimi i just don't care for.
i'm reading a wonderful book right now by a chinese american woman who lives in china and attended cooking classes. she includes recipes in the narrative, and i want to try every one of them.
Getting me to try things is the problem once I get over that hurdle, if I like it I will go with it. I like california rolls though.
I have never tried that, but it looks SO appetizing!!
I had my first taste of sushi not too long ago and I enjoyed it. Your picture makes me think I need a date with my husband for dinner...yum!!
Great PSF. Looks so yummy!
Good on your for trying it and liking it! I'm not sure I would have.....
I'm with you (gagging, texture issues, no parts please - I prefer not to have any reminders that my food was once moving). Soooo, I totally applaud your efforts and your AWESOME pic!
It's always so great to find a new food to enjoy. Bravo to you for giving it a go!
Hi thanks for the comment!
I've been dabbling in vegetarian-ism...so I hear you. And I HATE sushi, but have been known to try california rolls. Congrats on your bravery!
even if u didn't like sushi - those photos would convert you in a second! i love sushi, and i love those pics.
Funny - I won't try sushi either - all kinds of ewww!! My son is SID, so I know the eating woes here!!!
I'm with many, I love all sushi. So when a non sushi eater finds something they like, rock on! Good to know there's always a little of something for everyone. :)
Ah, sushi. What good stuff. I'm glad you gave it a try.
Oh, these look wonderful! I love how you describe your venture into this new taste :-) They have these in Tesco's here and now instead of grabbing something terrible and high in "bad for me", I grab a six pack of these little rolls.
Ohhhhh. I love sushi. Good for you for trying it!
And thanks for stopping by my blog. If you want to see more sushi adventures... click here.
Post a Comment