Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Bat Cave... AKA Our Vestibule

Alrighty... So a while back I posted about a sweet little visitor that seemed to have taken up residence on our front porch. Well.... as it turns out I might have been mistaken. At least about the who part. Yesterday while I was going out to get the mail I noticed this very cute little fella -- just hangin' out [behind our security camera].

Wow! It was quite exciting to discover him there. So adorable... so helpful. Despite what you may think about Bats, they are awesome little mammals! We always appreciate just how Few bugs we've got around here. Bats can consume up 3000 insects in one evening!! Mind Boggling Cool... 1000 mosquitoes gone in an hour... Hot Damn!

We've noticed some bats out and about during twilight, but hadn't realized one was nesting in our vestibule. So I immediately ran out and got us a Bat House similar to the one below...

It can house up to 40 bats and we'll hope this little fella and his friends will find it and make use of it very soon. Bat numbers are declining... if you live in an area where bats are native - don't wait like us - give them some shelter tonight. Encourage bats to take up residence in your neighborhood. They'll help keep your summer nights insect free and allow you to take advantage of your patio!!

How Awesome is That?!!
Bats are Nature's best defense for insect control.
And they're Quite Cute Too :)

Ghads! We're such Huge animal lovers and are so delighted by all the abundant and diverse wildlife found here in Pennsylvania. It's just all kinds of Cool! What a wonderful surprise for our family to get to appreciate and enjoy Every day, rightchere in our own yard!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderfully awesome those little creatures are. I love them too. What a wonderful picture you got of him.

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

K?
You realize you are kinda weird?

I've been big on the whole honey bee plight...but bats? Hmmmm.

And the Urban Dictionary word of the day today was
"bats in the cave" go look it up!

LingoVise Says... said...

Weird?? NOT me! ;)

I'm doing my best to help the honey bees as well... wrote about them here. But bats need our support too! I can't imagine how buggy things would get without their help.

Janet said...

They really are adorable!

Related Posts with Thumbnails