Thursday, December 17, 2009

Taco - Soup - Utopia

It must have been about 15/16 years ago now... that one of my clients at the Salon hooked me up with her famous Taco Soup recipe. We instantly fell in love with how easy it was to throw together and were amazed that something so simple could taste so good. It's been a favorite meal ever since and always finds a spot in our monthly rotation.

Taco Soup (circa 1994/95)

1 lb ground beef
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can corn
1 can kidney beans
1 can water
1 packet taco seasoning.

In a large stock pot brown ground beef, and drain. Add all cans (including liquids, do not drain) and seasoning packet, bring to boil and let simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream.

Simple. Tasty. Cheap. Of course during those extra leeeeean years in Grad School, we greatly appreciated how long this soup lasted (it freezes really well) and how cost effective it was to make. We even used to amp up its longevity by doubling all the canned items. This soup basically kept us from starving, on more than one occasion :)

Fast forward to this past weekend when my pal Caroline piqued my interest by telling me how I could up the ante on our classic old stand by. Really? You can improve on perfection? It's important to note that I had my suspicions... especially after she sent me the ingredient list. At first I suspected that the fraternity boys renting her basement apartment had created a Meth lab and the fumes were beginning to liquefy her brain stem. What I mean to say -- Hominy??? Ranch dressing??? In Taco Soup?? Hmmmm.... first response was: Pass. I've never... as in Ever... had hominy before. What the hell is hominy? Hominy, Hominy, Hominy? And it goes without saying that I absolutely detest Ranch salad dressing. Not such a promising start to be sure.

However, in the end... I took the bait. After all, I'm still reeling from that amazing Shepherd's Pie from last week. Have any of you tried it yet?? You Need to Get on it, I'm telling you. And while you're at it pick up the ingredients for this one too... because honestly, as sad as it is to say... This Bad Boy will be replacing our old favorite. It's like Taco Soup Re-imagined. Exquisite folks. AND I did it all in the Slow Cooker. Brilliant!

Taco Souptopia

Ingredients:
1 pound Ground Beef
2 cans Ranch Style Beans
1 can Kidney Beans
1 can White Hominy
1 can Yellow Hominy
1 can Rotel Tomatoes And Green Chilies
1 can Black Olives, roughly chopped
1 can Chicken Broth
1 package Taco Seasoning
1 package Ranch Dressing Mix

Preparation Instructions:
Brown ground beef and drain. Add cooked meat and all canned (with liquids, do not drain) ingredients to slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, ranch dressing and stir well. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, and (if you like them) chives.

Wowza! It's important to note that the Ranch Style Beans are a VERY important addition and hard as hell to find in Pennsylvania. When I finally did locate them I had to pay $2.79 a can, the brand I got was S&W. I'm not exactly sure how these beans are different from the likes of say, baked beans, but they are strikingly so. Spicy, tangy... Even The P couldn't put a finger on it... it's a southwest thing I'm sure. Just take Caroline's word for it: Don't, under any circumstances, leave them out. Seriously. Even if you have to hike all over town to find yourself some... they're worth it.

And indeed, they were.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails