Saturday, December 12, 2009

Trip Trot to Boston

Isn't it funny what you remember from childhood?? When I was really, really little... had to be just 3 or 4 years old, my Great Uncle Stanton, who always wore a black cowboy hat, used to bounce me on his knee and sing this nursery rhyme to me:

Trip trot to Boston
Trip trot to Lynn
Trip trot across the bridge...
But don't fall in.

And on the last word he'd dip me backwards.

Which always resulted in loads of giggles, and was followed quickly by lots of begging for more. "Doitagain! Doitagain!" I don't know why I remember that... over other things. But it is truly a dear memory. I remember being fascinated with his rough leathery hands and the fact that the first digit on each thumb was missing (a sheep shearing accident, he said). A beautiful Real Life Cowboy, with a gentle and kind demeanor, who rode horses and herded sheep. He was enchanting to me, with his horn-rimmed glasses and gravely voice. I only wish I hadn't been so young, nor he so old, so that I could have really known him.

Here's hoping that this memory will hold fast for little H-man and he'll revel in it all throughout his life.

Of course this is another re-tread from a page before I stared the 365 Project. Simply spruced up just a wee bit. A favorite that I wanted to be sure ends up in the P365 folder. It works out nicely, as we are all pretty tired today. Henry had a scary fever yesterday of 105 degrees. Luckily, with the help of Motrin we kept it under 106 which in turn kept us out of the ER. It finally broke around 2 am and has been much better today. By bedtime tonight, temperature read normal. So that's a relief, will continue on the Motrin regiment and hope it's gone for good. It's so weird. It came on so fast, with no warnings whatsoever. Doesn't appear to be the flu. Keeping the fingers crossed that Flynn doesn't get any part of whatever it was/is.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails