Are you stoked for the New Year??
I sure am. I don't exactly know why. But I am.
I feel all giddy with excitement and anticipation.
Perhaps it has to do with our upcoming move... not knowing what to expect or what exactly is in store for us. And while I'm not one usually fond of surprises, I have always loved the thrill of moving. I love discovering the area and all it's hidden gems. I love clearing out the old house... we've packed up 6 boxes this week for the Goodwill. I love finding a place for everything at the new house. Yes, it could definitely be linked to the move.
But honestly, I think I'm most excited about my boys. A new year filled with amazing discoveries and wild adventures mixed in with all the challenges of them finding their own way. Yes. I am greatly looking forward to watching my Boys grow in 2010.
And to ring the new year in properly I'll be making some Cinnamon Rolls, with a twist, on New Year's morning. These are a sweet bread minus the yeast. I've made them several times now and everyone loves them... Especially The H. They're sort of like a cross between a biscuit and a cinnamon roll. And although they're not a replacement for yeast Cinnamon Rolls, they are quite tasty in their own right and so wonderfully quick. We're talking instant gratification here folks. Keep in mind that they're best served Hot! Or least ways, Warm. So if they don't get gobbled up immediately... be sure and nuke them for about 15-20 seconds before consuming them later on.
**It's worth noting that we really love these made up with whole wheat flour. So be sure to give that a go... or at the very least go halves... 2 cups AP flour and 2 cups Whole Wheat flour.
Lickity Split Cinnamon Rolls
4 cups unbleached AP flour **
6 T. white sugar
2 1/2 T. baking powder
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients then cut in butter until the mix becomes crumbly. Add buttermilk and mix until a nice dough forms. Place dough on a floured surface, knead a little, and roll into a nice big rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Then slather on your butter and get creative with your toppings.
Run of the Mill Toppers:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
A Very Liberal Distribution of Cinnamon- I just sprinkle and sprinkle AND sprinkle!
I've also been known to add any and all of the following:
1/2 cup caramel bits, optional
1 cup chopped nuts, optional
1/2 cup dried fruit, optional
and try mixing up the spices too... ground cloves, nutmeg, allspice... Yum!
Roll into a log and cut apart with dental floss. Makes approximately 14 rolls... divide between two 8" X 8" pans, misted with Pam and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 mins. Cool for 15 mins and top them off with your favorite Glaze recipe. For tomorrows bounty I'll be trying out the following:
Eggnog Glaze!
2/3 C powdered sugar
1 T melted butter
2-3 T Eggnog
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
These are also tasty done up in the Orange variety:
Orange Roll Filling:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 C sugar
zest from one orange
Orange Roll Glaze:
2/3 C powdered sugar
1 T melted butter
2 T Orange juice
What?! No buttermilk in the fridge?? Just make your own... like so:
1. Place One Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
3. Let stand for five minutes before using.
Thursday, December 31, 2009
Ringing in the New Year!
Labels:
Daily Life,
Digital Scrapbooks,
F Photos,
H Photos,
Recipes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment