Friday, December 18, 2009

Wake Up Call

So. While The Boys and I were creating one helluva mess in the playroom today, the phone rang. It was our Relocation Coordinator. It was completely out of the blue and without warning. I was like "Hello? Who? What the Hell??" Yipes, talk about unprepared. I really hadn't expected to receive a call like that for several more months. Hmmm. Of course, nothing is 100% yet. Mind you, when is it ever, right? But a date for sometime in April is looking pretty firm at this point.

I'm not ready. On so many different levels. The moving part is easy, that doesn't bother me at all. The actual picking up and going part. The house hunting and selling I could totally do without. For me, shopping for a house is like shopping for clothes when your 15 pounds over weight. Nearly everything looks good - at a distance and on the outside... just squint a bit, it helps. It's all hunky dory until you try to squeeze your sorry, fat ass in there. Not my idea of a good time. While in theory, it should all work and be fine. Look good, feel good... BUTT... (get it).... (hahahahaha)... Nothing fits exactly right. So... not altogether amped up for that one.

I will really miss Pittsburgh. I love all the trees and the wildlife. I know that H-Man will miss the Zoo & Aquarium. He'll miss the Carnegie National History Museum, the Science Center and the National Aviary. He'll miss his friends at school. I will really miss our house. I love everything about this house except for the fact that it's built on the side of a hill. Although, when I'm inside that flaw never comes to mind. Because we totally lucked out with this house. When we walked through the door, the very first time, it was like trying on a pair of custom made Italian shoes. Like a Glove... as though it was built with us in mind. Absolute Perfection - for us. So that will be hard to leave behind. And that kitchen! I will so totally miss our beloved kitchen. What will The P miss, you ask?? Honestly, I'm not quite sure. He'll miss that Kitchen too! Other than that, I couldn't say. Because, although he doesn't dislike it here, things just never seemed to 'click' in for him. After all, he's a Beach Boy under an eternal blanket of cloudy skies.

We are definitely looking forward to the warmer weather. Columbia boasts that they get 300+ days of sunshine a year!!! OMFG! Pittsburgh gets about 50. Yeah, that's right, a year... and for those of you out west - Seattle gets about 53. Shocking, I know! So we are pretty stoked about that part of it. Especially The P. My native Californian Boy Really, Really misses his sunshine. And the fact that we'll only be a couple of hours from the ocean, well, that wholeheartedly floats his boat ;)

So over all... it was a bit of a wake up call. As in: Snap out of it! You are really going. And very, very soon. Of course moving is old hat to us, this will be our 10th move in 17 (almost 18) years. And should only be made just slightly more complicated with two small children in tow. But it'll be fun. Exciting. The P has already been down there working on and off and says that Columbia, while smaller than Pittsburgh, is bigger than the Tri-Cities. Which makes me happy. I really do Love the City. The area also offers a wonderful looking Zoo, several Museums and the Southeast's largest Children's Museum. Another high note are the three rivers that confluence just below the 50,000-acre recreational lake! Holy She-It... We are SO getting a Boat! There will be lots to explore and discover. But we will truly miss the home we've created in Pittsburgh, all the beauty is has to offer and all the wonderful friendships we have made during our time here.

Can you even begin to believe that Christmas is NEXT week??!!
It's Crazy!!

1 comment:

amac said...

We will miss having you only 4 hours away and wish we had seen you more often. Pat has always talked about the cold... just yesterday when cleaning out the basement I found a birthday card he wrote to me when I turned 17 and he was complaining about the cold and wishing he was back in California.

Related Posts with Thumbnails