Saturday, June 14, 2008

Bartering for Mallows...

Well, after waking up this morning with three more scratches on his face. It was obvious that something was going to have to budge on H Man's new "No Personal Hygiene" stance.

Nail clipping is much more delicate than teeth brushing... when he's completely unwilling to brush, I simply sit on him and brush like I'm Mario Andretti - really, really fast. He thrashes about like a caged animal and so I figure that's probably Not really an option with a pair of clippers. Probably wouldn't be very safe, for either of us.

So, I came up with a brilliant little bartering idea today. One that I honestly didn't think would be very successful, but it was worth a shot. It's a tough call for me though. We never have sweets in the house, and I really love that H Man has yet to acquire a taste for candy or junk food. The thought of sweets as a reward or a trade makes me nervous... but in the end, a lot less nervous than H scratching his eye out.

I sat lil' H down with me and showed him my hand full of marshmallows. I gave him one. Then I explained that he could have another, but we had to clip a few nails and held up the clippers. He recognized them instantly. He held up his tiny hand for examination and considered it.

Then he left.

A few moments later he was back. He sat next to me on the step and put his hand in mine. After we got a few nails clipped he asked, "Moh Peeaase". It was a total bargain, 6 marshmallows for 10 snips! I'm still in shock, I can't believe it worked! And when it was all over, he wasn't even interested in the last 3 mallows!

I'm Thrilled and Bewildered.

2 comments:

Casey's trio said...

Score one for mama!

laurie said...

the reward method beats out the punishment method every single time. good job.

(now I want a marshmallow!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails